Walk grades depend on walking distance, ascent, and to some extent the terrain and the season of the year. A walk which would be Grade A in summer might become a Grade A+ in winter when snow and ice may require the use of ice axe and crampons. As a guide:
- Up to 4 miles/6.5 km at a slow pace on level ground
- Up to 7 miles/11 km at a leisurely pace on good paths and tracks. Low hills and/or undulating ground
- Up to 7 miles/11 km at a leisurely pace with some ascent or over roughish ground
- Up to 10 miles/16 km moderately demanding with hills generally on tracks or paths at a moderate pace
- Up to 12 miles/19 km similar to B but more strenuous with longer distances and more ascent
- Slow A
- Same as A but taken at an easier pace and with more rest stops
- Up to 15 miles/24 km steep ascents and descents often over very rough terrain at a demanding pace
- Up to 15 miles/24 km or longer, as above at a more demanding pace and frequently with exposure and requiring equipment such as ice axe and crampons
Please remember that these are only guidelines, the walk leader will have taken into consideration the season, terrain, steepness of ascent, presence or absence of paths or tracks, and so on.
If in doubt about the suitability of a walk, please contact the walk leader who will be pleased to give you more information.
WP = West Port, meet in the car park behind the West Port Hotel
LC = Linlithgow Cross, meet by the steps at the front of the Burgh Halls
For other departure points please read the walk description.
Car sharing: Where car sharing is involved, we operate a voluntary contribution towards fuel costs at a suggested rate of 80p per 10 miles/16km per person.
Dogs policy: Dogs are not permitted on walks where livestock may be encountered. On other walks, dogs may be allowed at the discretion of the walk leader, who must be consulted prior to the walk. Dogs should travel in their owner’s car. Registered assistance dogs are permitted on any walk.